Anyone who’s seen the vast range of novelty Monopoly sets would have no doubt that the marketing of the game is enslaved by fashion – but this variant makes the unpredictability of fashion a part of the game itself.
You will need
- A Monopoly set
- A deck of cards
All rules are as normal for Monopoly with the exception of the following:
- Before the game commences, remove the jokers from the deck and shuffle it thoroughly.
- At the start of each round, the first player to move draws a card from the deck.
- The card determines what is fashionable each turn: rents are doubled along the fashionable row, but so are all costs (i.e. property values, houses and hotels.) Mortgage rates are unchanged.
- Spades: the row between Go! and Jail is fashionable.
- Hearts: the row between Jail and Free Parking is fashionable.
- Clubs: the row between Free Parking and Go to Jail is fashionable.
- Diamonds: the row between Go to Jail and Go! is fashionable.
- Drawn cards are shuffled back into the deck each turn.
Winning the Game
- as normal